Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Luna and Pop-Pop time

      Normally, when my wife takes the kids somewhere and I am left alone at home, it only takes about an hour before I start going stir crazy.  One would think that I would revel in my alone time, read a book, write, or even take a glorious, glorious nap.  I may do one of those things from time to time, but the fact is that once I pass the hour gap, my alone time is terrifying.  Sure, for that first hour I feel as free as a 1950s space chimp, floating around the house on my own terms.
                                          "So....the moon is made of bananas and has a giant
                                           tire swing?  I'm in!"    

During that time, I can be found listening to loud 70s punk music, watching boring political shows, leaving the toilet seat up or doing all those things at once, all without the fear of feminine reprisal.  Once that hour mark has passed and I realize that I am the only person in the house, instead of celebrating and sliding around on the kitchen floor in my socks and underwear like a fat and hairy Tom Cruise (Risky Business 2!), I start brooding.  I usually will find myself listening to some sad indie song, then I'll mope around the house, looking for laundry to clean.  I'll start picking things up and washing dishes until the whole situation quickly turns into a very boring version of Omega Man. 
                                          "Omega Man: The last man on Earth and he's here....
                                          to make the bed....or die trying!"

Last night, things were a little different.  My wife and the 14 yr old went gallivanting about town (or they were attending the grand opening of the Touch Point Church computer lab...take your pick.) and I was home all alone with the wee little baby.  I actually prefer having my mini sidekick with me.  First on our agenda was to watch the late showing of Dinosaur Train.  After watching such gripping drama, it is customary to crawl around on the floor on all fours, shouting "Dinosaur!  Grrrr!" while pretending to eat one another.  This game lasts about thirty to forty minutes before I tire out and collapse on the living room floor.  Of course, Luna knows that this is the time when she jumps on my wheezing Dino carcass.
     Later, when I discovered the garbage can was overflowing, my mini-intern and I ventured into the wilderness of Alhambra.  The sun had begun to set as we ran across the front grass.  Being the tallest of the two, I walked face first into a spider web, accidentally inhaling the arachnid resident while the baby laughs... I threw the trash in the garbage can and I was treated to a solo clap and a loud squeal.  "Yay, Pop-pop!"  I've never felt prouder about throwing the trash.
      The trashland adventure ended and bathtime commenced.  When I say Bath time, what I really bean to say is "Lets see how much water Luna can spill all over the floor, causing Pop-Pop to slip and break his tail bown."  That is not a fun game.  Luna does not see the bath as a place where you go to get clean, as much as she sees it as a place where she can pour a large pitcher of water into a smaller cup 47 times in a row.  She was fascinated by the fact that her fingers and toes had become pruney and weird looking.  How does one respond to such a strange phenomenon?  How about licking your foot and shoving a finger up your nose all while yelling "Eeeew!  Yucky!"  That's one way, I suppose.
      Once the bath and all of its assorted rituals are finally complete and the froggie pajamas are slapped onto the wriggling, giggling toddler, we ran around the house singing the Fantasy Man theme from "Noel Fieldings Luxury Comedy."  The bizarre British comedy isn't exactly baby friendly, but the songs are baby safe....for the most part.  Don't you judge me!  Bed time came and I walked Luna to her crib...singing.
                                          For most kids this is the stuff of nightmares...for ours
                                          it's a lullaby.

She laid down, singing the song as I left the room.  It was a great night for my little Dino and I.  Sure beats being a lonely space chimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment