Monday, August 13, 2012

Blast from the past: Also July 28th 2010

Lucy on the tv with diamonds

Television makes everything seem so easy. Corrupt politicians and their hired crooks are oppressing the citizenry? No problem, the A-team just builds come custom made tank like vehicle and busts on the scene beating the bad guys into submission (How come the A-team has that awesome van, yet every episode involves them building some crazy home made vehicle?) Did you use too much soap in your wash and have suddsy water overflowing onto the floor? Don't worry about it. Alice the maid would waltz in and fix the situation in just seconds.

What I like about I Love Lucy is that nothing was EVER easy for her. Yeah, the situations were complicated in an unrealistic, funny way, but at least Lucy had to work her way out of a problem. Just like you and I do! Well, I never accidently got really drunk during a commercial shoot or ate a bunch of chocolates off of a speeding conveyer belt.
Today, my wife and I watched the episode where Lucy found out she was pregnant. No, Lucy didn't run out of the house screaming. She planned to break the news to her husband Ricky the way she had always imagined, in a comfortable, romantic and private setting. Of course, all of her plans fall apart and she is forced to go to Ricky's nightclub, hide in the audience and secretly request a song for a woman who wants to tell her husband that they are having a baby.

That husband is Ricky and in a classic comedy moment, hey yells 'It's me! It's me!' It's a cute moment and I hate to admit that I got a little teary eyed. (Don't tell my wife. I told her I had something in my eye.) This led to me trying (and failing) to do my best Ricky Ricardo impression. I sounded more like Janosz Poha, the Peter MacNicol character from Ghostbusters II. "Oh, Dana you're going to have the baby for Vigo!"

If life were a television show, my horrible impression would have been spot on and I would have received a riotous round of canned applause and laughter. Instead my wife just told me to stop the bad Ricky Ricardo or I'll be sleeping on the couch. I regret choosing the couch option.

No comments:

Post a Comment