Monday, August 13, 2012

Blast from the past: post from June 22 2010

What the pee-stick said....

I found out on father's day...I am a father. Here was the scenerio, I woke up as my wife, Mercedes headed into the bathroom with the robotic, digital super computo, error free pregnancy test. My response was to roll over and emit a groggy gurgle and nod my head. I promptly fell asleep only to be woken up by my wife holding the super computo pee-stick inches away from my face. Her beautiful brown eyes lit up with both fear and excitement. "Happy Father's Day!" She said with a smile. I shot out of bed wearing nothing but my superman boxers (Yup, my wife is a lucky woman). "Whaaaa?" I said in a stupor. We spent the rest of the morning soaking in the amazing new truth...we were about to have a baby.
  
Since Mercedes and I have been raising my eleven year old sister, Michelea for the past year, we are not completly new to the whole parenting game, however the fact that we had created life, a child all our own is an insane concept for both of us to comprehend. How is it possible for this little character to grow inside her stomach and emerge 9 months later looking like a composite of both of us?
So, most of the day involved the two of us waiting for the right moment to tell everyone and holding the secret in as long as we possibly could....that lasted about six hours.

  After looking at each other and giggling nervously for most of the day, we just couldn't handle it. So, at the father's day BBQ held by Mercy's step father, Diego we decided to let the baby out of the bag. Mercy was convinced that her mother was going to leap over the table, grab a toothpick from the cheese tray and stab us both in the neck until we were dead. I convinced her that she could kill me on grounds of temporary insanity, but no jury would be forgive a woman who killed her own pregnant daughter.

Instead of murdering us with table top impliments, Cathy just stared at us....and stared....and stared some more. "So, what do you think, mom?" Mercy asked. Cathy pushed her jaw closed and smiled. "Well, I am just waiting for one of you to say 'just kidding'..." So after talking about baby names with the new grandparents to be, we headed home, wondering when we should tell the rest of our family and friends. Facebook and grandma to be beat us to it. After hours of phone calls and tucking Michelea in bed, we ended Father's day the way we started it...staring at the ceilining. "Holy crap, we're going to have a baby!" quietly I began to think to myself....Now that we're having a kid, can I still act like one...just a little?

No comments:

Post a Comment