Monday, August 13, 2012

What's wrong with floor food? Plus...1990s comics are back!

A note: The last time I wrote anything was waaaay back when I found out my beautiful wife Mercy was pregnant with our first child. She told me on father's day of 2010, having raised my sister, I was already a father and now we were ushering a new life into the world. I was so excited and had wonderful ambitions of writing about my experience. I wrote about ten blog entries before the baby came and...well it has been a year and a half and later. The only reason I am able to write this now is that I am an insomniac and everyone else is asleep. When that baby is awake, we are on the clock. My format for this new blog is to give you all a little story and update on the family and then include a comic book and pop culture review, rant or rave. I may occasionally write a movie review, but seeing a movie outside the house is almost unfathomable...the most recent movie I watched was the Usual Suspects...1995! So as you can see when it comes to movies, I am a little behind the times...

It's good to write again...enjoy!


There was a time when I could walk into the kitchen without fear of stepping on anything, let alone a slobbered on handful of Kix. Before I became the father of a one and a half year old I never even thought about such an occurrence. Mind you, being the eldest of five and raising my 13 year old sister with my wife, I have watched my fair share of little people (By whom I mean children, not little people like the stars of many of the shows on TLC).

It's one thing to step on slobber snacks in a friends house, in that case you are probably wearing shoes. The scenario in your own house is a little different. First of all, on a casual day, shoes are optional...so are pants for that matter (Sorry for that thought). So I often find myself cruising to the fridge for a little late night snack in the dark and then smoooosh, My bare feet squashes a slobbery paste of what was once Kix cereal. And suddenly an x-files episode unfolds. Why is this cereal there? What purpose does it serve? Is the government involved? Is it really Bigfoot droppings? No, my little baby Luna decided that the cereal she was munching on later in the day would be safer in the kitchen...in the middle of the floor....next to an unopened can of chili she was using as a makeshift drum. The funniest thing about being a parent is that you start to notice all the somewhat disgusting things kids do...and you are completely okay with it. If a grown person decided that they were going to stuff a whole handful of blueberries in their face and try to open mouth kiss you in the same exact second the police would probably be involved. If it is your child you embrace the grossness of the moment. There are plenty of gross and adorable moments to come and I can't wait!

Comic Book Review:

Title: Bloodshot Issue 1 Publisher: Valiant Creative Team: Duane Swierczynski, Manuel Garcia and Arturo Lozzi

Valiant was a major competitor for Marvel and DC back in the early to mid 1990s. Their stable of down to earth, somewhat realistic characters made them one of the most popular comic book companies at the time. Their books like Harbinger and Bloodshot would often outsell big guns like Superman and Spider-man. Now nearly 20 years later, Valiant is back with a new relaunch that debuted with X-O Manowar and Harbinger. The newest book is Bloodshot. I must say that I am very surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.

Bloodshot issue one starts out with a stereotypical scene in which our hero, known only as Ray is ordered into battle by his military superiors and promises his family that he will return safely. At first, the build up is just like any other generic action movie. However, we soon learn that nothing about "Ray" is what it seems. He is killed by page 8 only to regeneate as we learn that "Ray" is a living weapon working for a black-ops group called Project Rising Spirit. Codenamed Bloodshot, he is kept alive by microscopic nanite computers that course through his bloodstream. As Bloodshot kills and is killed by his handler's enemies, his life as "Ray" begins to unravel. What is real? Who can he trust? Is his name even Ray? Maybe, it's Tim or Jerry, or maybe like the original series his true name is Angelo Mortalli. Whatever secrets may hide in Bloodshot's past, this book is a fun ride. Once you get past the set up the book is more exciting than most action films and reads like the Bourne Identity with a Sci-Fi twist. Similar to Wolverine's Weapon X days, but more immersed in the military thriller genre, Bloodshot leaves you guessing and hungry for more. All in all the writing is smooth and the art is appealing and compliments the action. I can't wait to see what else this series has in store.
RATING: 4/5 Slobber covered cereal pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment