Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Toddler nudity in the neighborhood...

     Have you ever heard that old saying "When it's really hot there's nothing better to do but to strip naked and run around in the yard."?  No?  I think Lady Godiva said it, or maybe it was Randy Travis.  Anyway, my toddler Luna must have heard this saying because when the heat gives us all the beat down, her birthday suit is her only suit.  Any of you who live in Southern California know that this heat has been unbearable lately.  It has been so hot that even going outside is out of the question.  I saw a humming bird burst into flames. 
 
     We had recently bought a small inflatable pool shaped like a smiling green frog for Luna to play in.  That frog has not been smiling, Yesterday I put in the water and it boiled as the frog screamed "It burns, it burns!"  So rather than have toddler stew in a boiling rubber frog, I have been letting Luna run around the front yard as I spray her with the hose.  She loves it, but she does not like wearing her wet clothes or wet diaper.  That thing gobbles up water like I gobble up cheese, and we are both bloated and wobbly afterward.      
 
     So of course, we have been allowing Luna to run around naked as a jay bird on the front lawn.  By the way, I assume a jay bird is a Blue Jay, I'm not sure.  We had a snotty Blue Jay that hung around my grandmother's house but he was fully clothed in a suit and top hat and wore a monocle.  He would always shout "By Jove, jolly good show!" before stealing the cat's food and pecking her in the face.  Mercy and I are both fine with the baby's nudity.  She's a baby, it's no big deal.  Plus she puts the streak in streaking, she is moving so fast that all you can see is a fleshy blur speeding across the lawn.  Michelea, the fourteen year old thinks we are disgusting heathens for letting the baby run wild.  I am happy that she thinks that, hopefully when she gets older she will finally go along with my "Burqa as a bathing suit" idea.

    We have received a few snotty stares by some of the neighborhood passersby and local dogs, but I just tend to ignore them.  Especially those bulldogs that strut down the street thinking "I may be naked and lick myself, but I'm a dog."  Okay, I am not sure they are thinking that, but they have such judgemental eyes.  They're probably thinking: "It's hot, can I drink out of your toilet?"

   As long as this heatwave continues, I am fine with this loose dress code.  Well, for toddlers at least.  If I have my way the fourteen year old might be the only student in her class to wear a Nun's habit.

1 comment:

  1. "I saw a humming bird burst into flames."

    I couldn't help but picture that and laugh out loud (better than the LOL kind)

    ReplyDelete