Monday, August 13, 2012

Blast From the Past: July 28th, 2010

A rose by any other name is still a rose...unless it's not..

Baby names. It seems like parents to be always bat them around before finally coming to a name that they both love. At least that's how it was for my wife and I...about a year ago before the baby factory even started production. You see, we talked about hypothetical baby names before we planned to have a child.

We're both weird that way, I guess. If you know me, you know that I am hardly serious about anything. The initial baby names I proposed were no exception. If it the baby was to be a boy: Thaddeus (As in Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross from the Incredible Hulk comic books) Mortimer, Gomez (As in Addams), and of course, Kal EL. If the baby were to be a girl: Scarlett (From G.I. Joe not gone with the wind), Lynda (As in Carter) Magdellena (From the comic book about the warrior nun) of course, none of these names were really my serious canidates. For the longest time, my wife and I shot baby names at one another, just as a game, when we finally came across two that we loved. Bowie (As in David Bowie) Francisco Castro-Miller for a boy and Luna Catalina (As in Catalina Castro, the grandma to-be. See, I mentioned you!) for a girl.

Those were the names we chose before we even knew the baby was on his or her way. We love those names. So of course, there are others who would disagree. Others who shall remain nameless. You know who you are! One of my grandmothers had a hard time with Bowie and thought I said Bow Tie or Bootie. The standard reaction from most of my family was: Oh, that's....interesting. Since when did interesting become code for 'I really hate what you just proposed, I find it vile and stupid'?
So, as an alternative to people who disapprove of the names we have selected, I have come up with an alternative name. This name is uni-sex and can be used for either a boy or a girl. Ottoman Lampshade Nightinggale Castro-Miller. See, doesn't it have a ring to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment