Friday, August 17, 2012

The wonders of "EWWWW"...

     Language is an amazing thing.  We tend to ignore the idea that there was a time when people grunted and pointed to get their ideas across.  For all we know when Mortimer the caveman said "Urgh ug grugh" he was really saying "My dear boy, Mammoth meat really might be the next diet food, don't you think?"  Then the Ice Age came and everyone died except for John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, and Ray Romano in their hilarious animal forms.  I think Queen Latifah was there too, but I haven't read a history book in a while, so I'm not too sure.  Of course as I man, I still grunt and point to get my ideas across and up until a few months ago so did our baby girl, Luna. 


Okay, so not all cavemen grunted...

     Now the smattering of words have grown and grown as the days and months have sped up.  It is so weird to see such a tiny human being using words like "Breakfast", "Banana" and "Economic crisis" in mini sentences.  Okay, I stretched the truth about that last part.  She can't say "Breakfast".  While the words may not always be crystal clear, you can get the point.  Once your child becomes a toddler it is like you somehow become a linguistics expert for some undiscovered language.  It's sort of like that old Jodie Foster movie "Nell" but a whole lot less annoying. 



   "Oh Canada...I mean...oodie blah..."
    So, as words advance, so does the understanding of expressions.  When Luna was very little she already knew that when something was exciting you could best express that by going "Oooooh" as you discover the electrical socket and dream of sticking the neighbor's cat's tail in it.  Lately as Luna began potty training, we caught ourselves saying "Ewwww" after changing a diaper.  So of course, Luna fell in love with the expression. 

Now, every time she witness something she deems as gross she let's out a long "Ewwwwww..." Unfortunately there are many things she thinks are gross.  Normal things.  A baby wipe, an unopened package of diapers and the funniest...my feet.  This morning I was laying on the couch with my feet sticking out.  Luna walked right up to my feet and scrunched up her nose and let out a disapproving "Ewwwww". 

So I quickly took a shower and tried to eradicate the stink from my feet.  I got dressed in a rush, leaving my clothes on the floor and the bathroom door open.  I walked down the hall and heard another loud "Ewwww".  Once I entered the bathroom I saw Luna putting my underwear in the open toilet saying "Agua...Ewww".   She may not say many words, but she can sure get her point across.  Her Pop-Pop is one stinky dude.

*All images are property of their respective owners and used for satire purposes.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment